Free and open markets are the foundation of a vibrant economy that benefits both individuals and businesses with lower prices, more choices, greater innovation and better products. Price-fixing, anticompetitive mergers and collusive business practices can harm competition and increase the price of goods and services used by consumers and businesses.
Federal and state antitrust laws exist in order to protect our free market system. Antitrust laws protect consumers and businesses from anticompetitive practices that unfairly inflate prices. Consumers and businesses are often injured by price collusion, abuse of market power and deceptive or fraudulent business practices. Federal antitrust laws also can prohibit mergers and acquisitions that may inhibit competition and create a monopoly.
Pritzker Levine LLP regularly represents companies and consumers in the prosecution of individual and class action antitrust lawsuits under federal and state antitrust laws. The firm’s attorneys have led and prosecuted antitrust cases in a variety of industries, including consumer electronics, consumer goods, insurance products and services, air transportation and pharmaceuticals.
To learn how our antitrust attorneys can help you, or to discuss a possible antitrust claim, please contact Elizabeth Pritzker at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 415-692-0772 for a free consultation.
- In re TFT-LCD (Flat Panel) Antitrust Litigation
- Representing (as court-appointed Liaison Counsel) direct purchasers in a multi-district class action alleging price-fixing by foreign and domestic manufacturers of Thin Film Transistor Liquid Crystal Display (TFT-LCD) products. The sharply contested litigation resulted in recoveries for the Direct Purchaser Plaintiff Class Members of over $425 million.
- Il Fornaio (America) Corporation et al v. Lazzari Fuel Company, LLC et al.
Representing (as court-appointed Class Counsel) restaurants and a certified class of direct purchasers in antitrust class action alleging conspiracy to fix prices and allocate the market and customers for mesquite lump charcoal. A class settlement has received preliminary court approval.
- In re Lithium Ion Rechargeable Batteries Antitrust Litigation
- Representing (as member of Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee) consumers and direct purchasers in multi-district class action alleging price fixing by foreign and domestic lithium ion rechargeable battery manufacturers. The litigation is ongoing.
- In Re International Air Transportation Surcharge Antitrust Litigation
Representing (as member of Plaintiffs’ Executive Committee) consumers and direct purchasers in multi-district class action alleging fuel surcharge price-fixing by airlines in the transpacific passenger airline market. The litigation is ongoing.
- In re National Collegiate Athletic Association Grant-In-Aid Cap Antitrust Litigation
- Representing University of California at Berkeley Division I women’s basketball players Justine Hartman and Afure Jemerigbe and proposed classes of current and former collegiate athletes who received athletic grants-in-aid from colleges or universities that are members of the NCAA or one of its division conferences. This multi-district, nationwide class action alleges that the NCAA and its members illegally agreed or colluded to cap or depress the athletic grant-in-aid program, causing serious financial hardship to hundreds of collegiate athletes, in violation of federal antitrust laws. The litigation is pending before Judge Claudia Wilken in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. The case is in active litigation.
- In Re Keurig Green Mountain Single-Serve Coffee Antitrust Litigation
Representing consumers and a proposed class of indirect purchasers in a nationwide antitrust class action against Keurig Green Mountain, Inc., Green Mountain Roasters, Inc., and Keurig, Inc. for monopolizing the U.S. market for the sale of single-serve portion packages of coffee, tea, cocoa and other beverages. This multi-district litigation has been consolidated before Judge Vincent S. Broderick in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. The firm serves as a member of the indirect purchaser plaintiff litigation committee. The case is in active litigation.
- In re Disposable Contact Lens Antitrust Litigation
- Representing contact lens purchasers in a nationwide multi-district class action against contact lens manufacturers alleging that the manufacturers colluded to maintain the retail prices of contact lenses by imposing resale price maintenance restrictions on those products. The litigation is ongoing.
- In re Packaged Seafood Products Antitrust Litigation
- Representing (as member of the End Payer Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee and as Discovery Co-Chair) consumers in a multi-district class action alleging price fixing by producers of packaged seafood products. The litigation is ongoing.
- In Re Vehicle Carrier Services Antitrust Litigation
Representing consumers who indirectly paid for ocean transportation vehicle carrier services in multi-district class action alleging global conspiracy to fix prices and allocate the market and customers for vehicle carrier services. The litigation is ongoing.
- In Re Fretted Musical Instruments and Equipment Litigation
- Representing consumers and direct purchasers in multi-district class action alleging price fixing of retail prices of guitars and guitar amplifiers. The litigation is ongoing.
- In re Domestic Drywall Antitrust Litigation
- Representing non-profit community development organizations and end-user plaintiffs in multi-district class action alleging price fixing of gypsum board by U.S. gypsum board manufacturers and distributors. The litigation is ongoing.
- In re Chocolate Confectionary Antitrust Litigation
- Representing (as ESI Discovery Co-chair) direct purchasers in multi-district class action alleging price-fixing by foreign and domestic manufacturers of chocolate bars and confectionary products. The litigation is ongoing.
- In re Commodity Exchange, Inc. Gold Futures and Options Trading Litigation
Representing clients and a proposed class of investors in multi-district litigation against the Bank of Nova Scotia, Barclay’s Bank PLC, Deutsche Bank, AG, Deutsche Bank Securities, Inc., HSBC Holdings PLC, HSBC USA, Inc., Societe Generale S.A., SG Americas Securities, LLC, the London Gold Market Fixing, Ltd., and others, alleging that defendants conspired, combined or agreed to fix or manipulate the prices of physical gold and certain financial instruments directly linked to the prices of physical gold, in violation of the Commodities Exchange Act. The litigation is pending before Judge Valerie Caproni in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. The case is in active litigation.